Set up Healthcare Identifiers in your Organisation
This step is required for organisations using clinical software to:
- Access the My Health Record system.
- Download patients' individual healthcare identifiers (IHI).
- Use Secure Message Delivery.
Before completing this step, your organisation should already have:
✔ Received confirmation of successful registration of your Seed HPI-O with the HI Service.
✔ Your healthcare providers should have obtained or applied for their HPI-Is and provided these to your Organisation Maintenance Officer (OMO).
- A confirmation letter in the post from the Department of Human Services (DHS) with your 16 digit HPI-O number.
- Your organisation's PKI Site certificate (If applied for).
- Your Responsible Officer (RO) and Organisation Maintenance Officer (OMO) PKI individual Certificates (If applied for).
- A Personal Identification Code (PIC) for all PKI Certificates mentioned above if applied for (these will arrive separately)
Step 1Check that you are using a version of your clinical software that connects to the HI Service. You can check your software on the Software Products using digital health page.
Step 2Add your HPI-O to your clinical software.
Step 3Add your healthcare providers' HPI-Is to your clinical software.
Step 4Install your PKI Site Certificate in your clinical software (if you received a new one).
Step 5Install your RO and/or OMO Individual PKI Certificate(s) if applied for (for access to Health Professional Online Services (HPOS) for online self-service management of your organisation’s details in the HI Service).
Your software vendor may provide software guides for some of the above steps. Contact your software vendor for further assistance.
Note: It is recommended you list your organisation and healthcare provider's details in the Healthcare Provider Directory (HPD). For Providers to upload clinical documents in some clinical software, listing the HPI-I in the HPD is mandatory.
For Healthcare Providers to list in the HPD they can:
- Log onto HPOS with a Human Services Individual PKI Certificate and consent to have their details listed (if they have one).
- Complete the Application to amend a Healthcare Provider record form.
- Call the HI service enquiry line on: 1300 361 457.
If you didn't consent for your organisation to be listed in the HPD when you registered with the healthcare identifier (HI) service, you can:
- Log on to HPOS and select the HI Service link, and update information under the 'My organisation details' link.
- Call the HI Service enquiry line 1300 361 457 to confirm that you agree to have your organisation's details published in the HPD.
Once you have followed the set-up steps above, it is recommended that you verify your clinical software is successfully connected to the Healthcare Identifiers (HI) Service by downloading a patient's Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) number.
A Healthcare Provider with a HPI-I or an authorised employee at the organisation should follow the steps below to download a patient’s IHI number.
Suggested steps to download a patient's IHI number:
Step 1In your Clinical Software, select and view a patient record that:
- Does not have an IHI recorded against it, and
- Has been recently used in an electronic transaction with Human Services
Step 2Check that data entered in the following fields appears to be valid:
- Medicare Card number or DVA number
- Given Name
- Date of Birth
Step 3Use the function in your Clinical Software to request the patient's IHI.
Step 4If the software reports the result as successful:
Check that the patient's IHI data field contains 16 digits and that the IHI Status fields show the IHI as being "verified".
Step 5If the result is not successful, there may be a number of reasons why an exact match is not possible:
- The practice may need to review the data it holds to determine currency (e.g. patient change of name) and accuracy (e.g. date of birth is recorded correctly). This can be checked with the patient at their next visit and updates made to the data in your Desktop Software.
- The patient may not have renewed their current details with Human Services. It would be helpful to advise the patient to contact Human Services (Medicare) to have their data checked and updated.
- You may need to check that the practice software has been correctly installed.
When you have successfully downloaded a patient's IHI into your Clinical Software system, you can be confident that your software can interact with the HI Service as intended.
If you are using a Contracted Service Provider (CSP) to access the HI Service, you will need to link your HPI-O number to their CSP Number in the HI Service. You will need to contact your CSP to obtain their CSP number. The CSP linkage can be done using HPOS by your Responsible Officer (RO) or Organisational Maintenance Officer (OMO). See the HPOS CSP Linking Quick Reference Guide for guidance. Alternatively, you can call the HI Service enquiry line on 1300 361 457.
- My Health Record Training for Providers of IT Support to General Practice
- Read more about the My Health Record system and Healthcare Identifiers (HI).
- Learn how to download patient individual healthcare identifiers (IHI).
- What is Secure Message Delivery?
- Register your seed HPI-O with the Healthcare Identifier (HI) Service.
- What are your healthcare organisation's roles and responsibilities?