Dr Murphy commenced as the Secretary of the Department of Health on 13 July 2020.
Prior to his appointment as Secretary, Dr Murphy was the Chief Medical Officer for the Australian Government and prior to this, the Chief Executive Officer of Austin Health in Victoria.
Dr Murphy is:
- a Professorial Associate with the title of Professor at the University of Melbourne;
- an Adjunct Professor at Monash University and at the Australian National University;
- a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences;
- a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Physicians; and
- a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
He was formerly CMO and director of Nephrology at St Vincent’s Health, and sat on the Boards of the Centenary Institute, Health Workforce Australia, the Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Research Institute and the Victorian Comprehensive Cancer Centre. He is also a former president of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Nephrology.