Media release - Update to the My Health Record statistics
16 December 2019: The Australian Digital Health Agency (the Agency) today published updated statistics showing more detailed activity on My Health Record.
Agency Chief Medical Adviser, Professor Meredith Makeham, says, “While we have published general participation statistics in the past, this update has been tailored for consumers following research which showed that more insight and relevance was needed about the statistics. The update provides a more granular view of how My Health Record is being used and how this is changing over time.”
The Agency’s My Health Record statistics will be published on the My Health Record website regularly to provide more transparency around how the system is being used by consumers and healthcare providers.
- Pharmacies are currently the biggest contributors to the system, uploading over 4 million documents every month with GPs also adding between 2 and 3 million documents every month.
- There has been a 140% growth of healthcare providers sharing and collaborating on patient information, with both viewing and uploading information close to equal.
- GPs are the highest users of the system, accessing documents uploaded by other GPs and healthcare providers to inform their clinical decision-making.
- The number of My Health Records containing Medicare, clinical or medicine documents has more than doubled since January (5.39 million), now more than 12.5 million have documents in them - typically following an interaction with a healthcare provider.
- Over 1.6 billion documents have been uploaded to My Health Records, including over 40 million clinical documents and 90 million medicine documents. More than 679 million of these have been uploaded in the last nine months alone.
- Around 90% of public hospital beds, general practices and pharmacies are now registered to use My Health Record, with around 70 per cent uploading or viewing documents.
- There are also over 6 million records with immunisation information and more than 1.2 million records with organ donor register information.
Mobile: 0428 772 421 Email: [email protected]
About the Australian Digital Health Agency
The Agency is tasked with improving health outcomes for all Australians through the delivery of digital healthcare systems, and implementing Australia’s National Digital Health Strategy – Safe, Seamless, and Secure: evolving health and care to meet the needs of modern Australia in collaboration with partners across the community. The Agency is the System Operator of My Health Record, and provides leadership, coordination, and delivery of a collaborative and innovative approach to utilising technology to support and enhance a clinically safe and connected national health system. These improvements will give individuals more control of their health and their health information, and support healthcare providers to deliver informed healthcare through access to current clinical and treatment information. Further information: www.digitalhealth.gov.au