Set up your record online
For secure and convenient access to your health information anywhere, anytime.
Follow the steps below to set up your record online. You can also set up your record via a printable application form.
Step 1. Sign in to myGov and link your record
To access My Health Record, you need to have a myGov account. myGov is a secure way to access Australian Government services online.
- Go to myGov: Go to myGov
- Sign in to your myGov account. If you don’t have a myGov account, select Create account and follow the steps to create an account.
Having trouble setting up myGov?
If you're having trouble setting up a myGov account, call the myGov helpdesk on 13 23 07, select option 1.
The myGov helpdesk is available at the following times:
Monday - Friday 7am to 10pm
Saturday - Sunday 10am to 5pm
- In myGov, select My Profile and then select Linked Services.
- Select My Health Record from the Link a service list. Then, select Link for My Health Record.
My Health Record uses details from Medicare to verify your identify. If you haven’t yet linked Medicare to your myGov account, you can do that first. It will be easier to link and access My Health Record.
Step 2. Verify your identity
Once you have linked your record in myGov, you will need to verify your identity. You can use details from Medicare.
You can also get a My Health Record without Medicare or DVA benefits.
To verify your identity using your Medicare details, you may need information such as:
- your Medicare card number
- the BSB and bank account number that your Medicare benefits are paid into (if you've arranged this with Medicare)
- your address as recorded by Medicare
- information about your last doctor's visit.
You need to answer the questions correctly to pass the identity check. If you don’t know the answer to a question, you can skip that question and try the next one.
If you are not able to prove your identity online or would prefer to speak to someone in person, call the helpline on 1800 723 471.
A helpline representative will give or send you a code, known as an identity verification code, so you can link your myGov account to My Health Record.
Step 3. Set up My Health Record
After you verify your identity, you will see a Welcome to My Health Record screen. Remember, the first time you sign in to My Health Record via myGov, there may not be much information in it.
To start setting up your record
Open your record by selecting the box with your name on the welcome screen. Start with these steps to set your preferences.
- Decide if you want to add Medicare information such as visits to your doctor, prescriptions information, immunisations and your organ donor decisions
- Add your emergency contacts
- Add any allergies or adverse reactions and medicines to your personal health summary
- Set an access code if you want to control who can see your health information
- Choose to receive notifications when someone accesses your record
Next time you see your GP, nurse or specialist, remember to ask them to upload a summary of your visit to your My Health Record.