Skip to main content

Authorised representatives

Information about managing a record for someone who can’t manage their own and how to accept an invitation to become one.

What is an authorised representative?

An authorised representative is a person who is responsible for managing someone's record if they are not able to make decisions for themselves. For instance, an authorised representative can manage the record of their child (under 14 years old) or a person who is older than 14 but cannot make decisions for themselves. An authorised representative may be a parent, carer, family member, legal guardian or someone with enduring power of attorney.

What can an authorised representative do?

Authorised representatives have complete access and control over the person's record, as if it were their own. They must act according to the will and preferences of the person they represent.

An authorised representative can:

  • view, remove and add information 
  • choose whether Medicare information is uploaded to the record
  • choose which healthcare provider organisations can access the record
  • add or remove nominated representatives 
  • view other authorised representatives 
  • cancel the record in order to permanently delete it

Find out more about managing a record as an authorised representative.

When can you become an authorised representative?

Authorised representatives and newborns

When your child is born, you will be given a newborn pack containing a Newborn Child Declaration form. If you would like a My Health Record for your child, complete the relevant My Health Record questions on the form.

Learn more about pregnancy and newborns.

Authorised representatives and under 14s

You can set up a record for your child online if they are on the same Medicare card as you, and they are under the age of 14. This will allow you to access your child’s record as an authorised representative until they turn 14. 

See what can be added to a child's record

Authorised representatives for over 14s who aren't able to manage their own record

If an individual 14 years or over is not able to make decisions for themselves, and you have authority to act on their behalf, you can apply to be their authorised representative.


Up until the age of 14 a parent or guardian is automatically an authorised representative. When a child turns 14, all representatives will be removed from their record. If they choose to, they can give their parent or guardian access as a nominated representative

How to apply to become an authorised representative

You can be appointed as an authorised representative based on your relationship to the person you are representing, their age, whether they have a record, and whether they have the capacity to manage it.

Become an authorised representative by downloading and completing the application form (PDF, 449.49 KB) and submitting it to the address below.

Submit an application

Send your application form and copies of your supporting evidence to:

My Health Record Program, GPO Box 9942 SYDNEY NSW 2001

Report an issue with an authorised representative

If you need to report an issue related to an authorised representative, or their management of your record, please call the My Health Record help line on 1800 723 471

Removing an authorised representative from your record

If you have an authorised representative managing your record on your behalf, and you would like to remove them and manage your own record, you will need:

  • a letter from a medical practitioner or psychologist declaring you have the capacity to manage your own record
  • a relevant court or tribunal decision.

Please call the My Health Record help line on 1800 723 471 to begin this process.

An authorised representative can remove themselves but not remove another authorised representative.

Managing a record as an authorised representative

How to access a record

To access a record as an authorised representative:

  1. Log in to My Health Record through your myGov account. 
  2. Select the record of the person for whom you are an authorised representative

You may be required to verify your identity when accessing a My Health Record as an authorised representative.

How to cancel a record

Authorised representatives can cancel the record of the person they are legally responsible for. When it's cancelled, the information in the record, including any backups, will be permanently deleted from the system.

To cancel a record:

  1. Click the Profile & Settings tab in the top navigation menu. 
  2. Select Profile from the drop-down list.
  3. Scroll to the Cancel your registration with My Health Record section. 

If you prefer to cancel your dependant's record in writing, download and complete the application form.

Application to cancel a dependant's My Health Record registration

If there is more than one authorised representative for a My Health Record, all authorised representatives are given the opportunity to review the decision before the record is permanently deleted. During this time the record will be suspended. 

Find out more about My Health Record suspension.

Nominated representatives, including full access representatives, cannot cancel a My Health Record on behalf of someone else.

How to remove yourself as an authorised representative

Getting started:

  1. Log in to My Health Record through your myGov account.
  2. Select the record you want to remove yourself from.
  3. Select Privacy and Access.
  4. Select My Representatives.
  5. Find your name on the list of people that have access to the person’s My Health Record.
  6. Select Manage Access near your name.
  7. Select Remove Access.
  8. Select Confirm.

If you need help to remove yourself as an authorised representative, please call the help line on 1800 723 471


Open Chat
Digital Health Chat