Skip to main content

Acting as an authorised representative

Managing a record on behalf of someone else.

An authorised representative is a person who is responsible for managing someone's record if they are not able to make decisions for themselves. They have full access to a person's record and control of it, as if it were their own. They must act according to the will and preferences of the person they represent.

Authorised representatives can:

  • view, remove and add information 
  • choose whether Medicare information is uploaded to the record
  • choose which healthcare provider organisations can access the record
  • add or remove nominated representatives 
  • view other authorised representatives 
  • cancel the record in order to permanently delete it

How long can someone act as an authorised representative?

Status as an authorised representative ends when:

  • the person you represent starts to manage their own record 
  • the person turns 14 years old (in the case of a child’s My Health Record)
  • you no longer have legal authority or parental responsibility, such as through court action
  • you have reached the end date of your legal authority

How to apply to become an authorised representative

You can be appointed as an authorised representative based on your relationship to the person you are representing, their age, whether they have a record, and whether they have the capacity to manage it

Become an authorised representative by downloading and completing this application form (PDF, 449.49 KB)

Submit an application

Send your application form and copies of your supporting evidence to:

My Health Record Program     
GPO Box 9942 

What supporting information is required?

To become an authorised representative, you will need the following:

  • written advice from a medical practitioner or psychologist to show the person lacks the capacity to manage their own record
  • your authority to act on behalf of the person (further details below)
  • the person’s identity details such as name, date of birth and Medicare number
  • your identity details such as name, date of birth and Medicare number

What documents can be used to prove parental authority?

  • the child’s birth certificate
  • your Medicare card, which shows your name and your child’s name
  • an order from an Australian court or tribunal that shows you are the child's parent

To demonstrate other forms of authority, you can show:

  • enduring guardianship or guardianship order
  • enduring power of attorney
  • statutory declaration outlining your relationship to the person and declaring that, to the best of your knowledge, there is no other person with parental responsibility or legal authority to act on their behalf (Please note: your application may be stopped or not granted if someone with more responsibility or legal authority exists.)

Already an authorised representative? See how to access a record

To access a record as an authorised representative:

  1. Log in to My Health Record through your myGov account. 
  2. Select the record of the person for whom you are an authorised representative.

You may be required to verify your identity when accessing a My Health Record as an authorised representative.

Cancel a record as an authorised representative

Authorised representatives can cancel the record of the person they are legally responsible for. When it's cancelled, the information in the record, including any backups, will be permanently deleted from the system.

To cancel a record:

  1. Click the Profile & Settings tab in the top navigation menu. 
  2. Select Profile from the drop-down list.
  3. Scroll to the Cancel your registration with My Health Record section. 

If you prefer to cancel your dependant's record in writing, download and complete the application form.

Application to cancel a dependant's My Health Record registration (PDF, 484.97 KB)

If there is more than one authorised representative for a My Health Record, all authorised representatives are given the opportunity to review the decision before the record is permanently deleted. During this time the record will be suspended. 

Find out more about My Health Record suspension.

Nominated representatives, including full access representatives, cannot cancel a My Health Record on behalf of someone else.

Remove yourself as an authorised representative

If you no longer wish to be an authorised representative, you can remove yourself from their record. However, please consider the impact this could have on the person.

If they no longer have an authorised representative and need one because they are under the age of 14 or they are an adult who lacks the capacity to manage their own record, their record may be cancelled.

If your personal situation has changed and you need help to manage your authorised representative status, please call the help line on 1800 723 471.

How to remove yourself as an authorised representative

  1. Log in to My Health Record through your myGov account.
  2. Select the record you want to remove yourself from.
  3. Select Privacy and Access.
  4. Select My Representatives.
  5. Find your name on the list of people that have access to the person’s My Health Record.
  6. Select Manage Access near your name.
  7. Select Remove Access.
  8. Select Confirm.

If you need help to remove yourself as an authorised representative, please call the help line on 1800 723 471.

Re-register for a new My Health Record

Even if a record is permanently deleted, you or the person you represent can re-register for a new one in the future. If a record has been canceled, all stored information including any backups will be permanently deleted from the system. Deleted information cannot be recovered. 

Find out more on how to set up your My Health Record.


Open Chat
Digital Health Chat